Monday, 20 January 2014

Trekking in the Atlas Mountains

We woke to a stunning day.

Waiting for our breakfast on the terrace of the guest house.

We had suppose to go on an overnight trek, walking for five hours then sleep overnight in a mountain hut. We had decided not to do this due to the fact that it would be very cold and we were not sure how the kids would get on. We were very glad we had made this decision because Penelope was still recovering from her travel sickness and was still quite unwell. We decided instead that Jasper, Hannah and I would go on a shorter walk and James would stay at the hotel with Penelope then after we got back he would go off for a bike ride. We had a very leisurely breakfast on the terrace and then met up with Hassan and the muleteer plus The mule - called Bella. We set off up the hill with Jasper and I walking and Hannah on Bella.

Having a rest at the top.

We found some snow - just to remind that it was actually winter despite being warm and sunny!

A view over to the mountains behind us

Jasper's turn

Hannah on the mule too.

Walking into the valley.

Hannah wasn't great at sharing on the mule so Jasper decided it was probably easier to walk.

A football field at the top of the valley!!

Hannah decides to let Jasper have a turn on the mule.

Back down the hill through the trees.

We had a great walk, such a beautiful place!

We got back to the guest house and had yet another amazing tangine for lunch sitting in the sunshine on the deck.

The mountain bike guide arrived and James set off up the hill for a fun couple of hours on a very small bike!
A view from the top.

Having a cup of mint tea at the top - there were little teahouses dotted all over.

The tea house.

James on his bike.

Looking down into the valley.

Penelope thankfully had started to feel better and managed to get out for a little walk down to the shops to get a drink and was feeling well enough to come and have some dinner.

The next day we woke to yet another brilliant day.
Our room in the guest house.

Ready for our walk.

Penelope was feeling heaps better. Even though we were heading back to Marrakech today we decided to do a decent walk and then drive back later in the afternoon - thus making the most of our last day in the mountains.

We had a different mule today - called Jacqueline. We walked up the way that we had come down the previous day.

Walking on the mule trail.

Walking up through the village. Penelope and Jasper happily sharing a ride on Jacquline.

Heading over to the other side of the valley.

Having a break, which of course included a glass of mint tea!

A boy taking his herd of goats up the valley.

Airing out the mats on the roof of a house.

The view across the valley to the town we had walked through.

A house down in the apple trees.

Our guide Hassan was lovely and always took great care of the children especially Hannah.

The path though the hillside village. The funniest thing was that as we walked into this town we could hear the women talking to each other as they just stood on the roofs and balconies of their homes and yelled at each other.

As we were walking down the path we heard a loud 'Oh no' and then a soccer ball came flying over our heads. It took a few minutes to decide who was going to run down and get it - I guess the needed to decide whose fault it was!

This is where our lunch was cooked.

We had lunch in a Berber house in the village. The host was very kind and we had a lovely lunch.

The view outside the Berber house.

Jasper getting his very own Berber headscarf - Cheche.

Hannah with her girl version.

Beautiful Penelope

All dressed up

Where we bought our carpet

Thankfully our mules weren't this stubborn!!

The fantastic guest house we stayed at.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment